Applications are invited for the 2023 Presidents' Travelling Fellowship
Deadline: Tuesday 31st January 2023
The British Association of Spinal Surgeons (BASS) and the British Scoliosis Society (BSS) offer senior residents, spinal fellows and consultants within two years of their appointment a chance to have extensive exposure to complex spinal procedures at established spinal units over 2 weeks.
The Fellowship programme includes mandatory attendance at the following spine meeting, which will be BritSpine 2023 in Glasgow, 18-20 April 2023. The programme rotates between established orthopaedic and neurosurgical spinal centres allowing significant contact between fellows and leaders in the field.
The Fellowship will take place between 20th and 31th March 2023. The Fellowship will rotate around centres in the UK (Centres proposed include Ipswich, Norwich, Newcastle and Sheffield - subject to change). Successful fellows will then attend BritSpine 2023 in Glasgow to present as a group on their Fellowship.
Further details can be obtained from Mr David Cumming (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Mr Ashley Cole (email@example.com)
To apply, please submit the following documents:
- your Curriculum Vitae (CV),
- a personal statement describing your career pathway, interests and future plans.
- A letter of recommendation from your supervising consultant/clinical lead.
Your application should be sent to UKSSB@boa.ac.uk by Tuesday 31st January 2023. (only Word or PDF file formats accepted)
Applications will be reviewed by a panel from the BASS and BSS Executives. All candidates will be informed of the decisions after the application deadline.
(For further criteria, please refer to person specification here)
- Applicants should be members of either BASS, BSS, BOA, SBNS or local spine society.
- Applicants should be post-FRCS exam senior residents, clinical spinal fellows or junior consultants in the first 2 years of their appointment.
- Previously unsuccessful applicants can re-apply.
- Fellowships cannot be awarded retrospectively.
Details of The 2023 Fellowship:
- BASS/BSS will reimburse travelling expenses up to £2,000. Claims must be submitted within 6 months of the Fellowship. Detailed financial arrangements will be provided to successful candidates.
- International fellows will be required to pay for their flights to the UK.
- By accepting the Fellowship, all awardees agree not to partake in any activities that will bring BASS/BSS and/or sponsors into disrepute. BASS/BSS accept no liability for the actions of the candidates whilst on the Fellowship or for activities related to it.
- Each Fellow is required to submit a report of approximately 500 words within 6 weeks of completion of the Fellowship. This may be published on the BASS and/or BSS websites and official communications.
- Fellows will attend BritSpine 2023 and present a group presentation (Wednesday 19th April 2023, subject to change)